The Dominy Shops Museum, which recently opened, is a reconstruction of the 18th century Dominy house with the original woodworking and clock shops restored and attached. The current exhibition, Made to Order: The Dominy Craftsmen and their Customers focuses on three generations of Dominy woodworkers – Nathaniel Dominy IV (1737-1812), his son Nathaniel Dominy V (1770-1852), and his grandson Felix Dominy (1800-1868) – who worked from about 1760 to 1840 completing hundreds of custom commissions ranging from cradles to coffins, wooden buttons to watch repair, clocks, fine furniture, and even the 1806 Hook Windmill that still stands nearby at the southern end of North Main Street.
The last descendants of the Dominys moved out of the house in 1941 and the building soon became derelict. When the house was dismantled in 1946, the original woodworking and clock shops were preserved by Dudley Roberts and moved to his property on Further Lane. In 2016, the shops were gifted to East Hampton Village, which committed to reconstructing the Dominy family home on its original foundation on North Main Street. During guided tours of the site, the Historical Society interprets the story of how the Dominy Shops returned to North Main Street, as well as the Made to Order exhibition.