SPECIAL EVENTS

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Sailor, with the N.Y. 3rd Regiment: 18th-Century Crafts and Revolutionary War Brigade
Mulford Farm, ca. 1680

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Sailor, with the N.Y. 3rd Regiment: 18th-Century Crafts and Revolutionary War Brigade

Saturday, August 6, 2016, 11 a.m. to 3 p.m., and barn dance, 6 to 10 p.m. Free admission; donations appreciated.

This is a celebration of colonial crafts and Revolutionary War history with various artisans, including a silversmith, beekeeper, shingle maker, weaver, and many others.

There will also be a barn dance from 6 to 10 with live music.

 

2016 East Hampton Antiques Show Benefit Preview Cocktail Party
Mulford Farm, ca. 1680

2016 East Hampton Antiques Show Benefit Preview Cocktail Party

Friday, July 22, 6 - 8:30 p.m.

This is the 10th year the East Hampton Historical Society is holding its Annual Antiques Show.

The Benefit Preview Cocktail Party will take place on Friday, 22 July, from 6 to 8:30 p.m., on the grounds of the Mulford Farm at 10 James Lane, East Hampton Village.

The show will be open to the public on Saturday, 10 a.m. - 6 p.m. (early buying 9 - 10 a.m.), and Sunday, 10 - 5.

2016 East Hampton Antiques Show
Mulford Farm, ca. 1680

2016 East Hampton Antiques Show

The show, in its 10th year, will open with early buying ($20) from 9 to 10 a.m. on Saturday, July 23, and has general admission from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. ($10). On Sunday general admission costs $10 and the show is open from 10 in the morning till 5 in the afternoon.

The show has 60 dealers who sell antiques, art, jewelry, and collectibles. They are dotted across the greensward of the 17th-century Mulford Farm, housed in elegant white tents. The focus of the show is on vintage decorative items for the house and garden. Classic rattan and bamboo furniture, lighting, textiles, architectural elements, American and European country decorated furniture, Art Deco and modern, garden ornaments, wrought-iron accessories, industral items, paintings, trade signs, period jewelry, weathervanes, and mirrors will all be for sale.

TOURS & PROGRAMS

Historical Cemetery Tour
Mulford Farm, ca. 1680

Historical Cemetery Tour

16 July, Saturday, at 10 a.m.

Walk with Hugh King through East Hampton's famous South End Burying Ground.  Meet at 10 a.m. at the Mulford Farm gate, 10 James Lane in East Hampton Village, rain or shine.

Reservations required; $10 per person.

Walking Around the Hook
Osborn-Jackson House, ca. 1720

Walking Around the Hook

20 August, Saturday, 10 a.m.

Meet at the Municipal Parking Lot opposite the I.G.A., North Main Street, East Hampton Village.

Reservations required; free admission.

The Hook was an important commercial area as well as the location of one of the community's early schools and its second cemetery. There will be many interesting stories shared.

East Side of Main Street Architecture and Character Studies
Osborn-Jackson House, ca. 1720

East Side of Main Street Architecture and Character Studies

27 August, Saturday, at 10 a.m.

Richard Barons, the director of the East Hampton Historical Society, will lead tourgoers up and down the east side of Main Street and will talk about its architecture as well as the characters who built the houses or lived in them.

Reservations required; free admission.

Meet Mr. Barons at the historical society office, 101 Main Street (the Osborn-Jackson House), at 10 a.m.

 

EXHIBITIONS

Ralph Carpentier: East End Landscapes
East Hampton Town Marine Museum

Ralph Carpentier: East End Landscapes

The exhibition will have an opening reception on Sunday, July 31, from 5 to 7 p.m. It will open to the public the following Saturday and be open on weekends through Sunday, August 28. Saturdays & Sundays, 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.


Ralph Carpentier started the East Hampton Marine Museum and was a director for many years.

He was an important landscape painter of the East End who died in February of this year.

The exhibition will feature some of the paintings he made of scenes that will be familiar to residents of and visitors to the South Fork.

 

 

Bon Voyage: The Woodhouses on Grand Tour
Clinton Academy, 1784

Bon Voyage: The Woodhouses on Grand Tour

Sunday 10 July through Columbus Day, 10 October, on weekends. Saturday, 10 a.m. - 5 p.m., Sunday, noon - 5. Opening reception, Saturday 9 July, 6 - 8 p.m.

The Woodhouse family, one of the most philanthropic of the Summer Colony families, made a "grand tour" of Europe in the 1890s and this exhibition shows photographs taken on their voyage that were recently developed from a donation of negatives to the East Hampton Historical Society.

 

Camp Wikoff Illustrated, 1898
Mulford Farm, ca. 1680

Camp Wikoff Illustrated, 1898

The exhibition opens on Saturday, June 11, at 10 a.m. On view through July 17, weekends only. Saturday, 10 a.m. - 5 p.m., Sunday, 12 - 5 p.m.

This is an exhibition of historical and contemporary illustrations, curated by Jeff Heatley, which have been hung in the Mulford Barn Gallery.

Living Well Is the Best Revenge: A Jazz Age Fable of Sara and Gerald Murphy
Clinton Academy, 1784

Living Well Is the Best Revenge: A Jazz Age Fable of Sara and Gerald Murphy

9 July, Saturday, through 10 October, Monday, Columbus Day, Opening reception, July 9, 6 - 8 p.m. Saturdays, 10 a.m. - 5 p.m., Sundays, noon - 5 p.m.

Sara Wiborg Murphy and Gerald Murphy, who met in East Hampton, grew up just as the Victorian ideals of the 19th century had begun to disappear and the uptight morals and stuffy formality of the past had begun to collide with a growing fascination with the industrial age and a volcanic eruption of modern European culture. Sara and Gerald Murphy found themselves immersed in a faster-paced culture in which Cubism and Surrealism were shattering the whole concept of what the visual arts had been.

Sara's parents, Frank and Adeline Wiborg, had built an impressive cottage on the 80 acres that were left, after selling other holdings, between he Atlantic Ocean and Hook Pond. The Dunes was completed in 1912. Wiborg had made a fortune from his Cincinnati printing ink and varnish company, Ault & Wiborg. Gerald's father, Patrick Murphy, had bought the Mark Cross company after persuading the former owner to expand his product line. He moved the business from Boston to New York City, where it became famous for high quality leather goods just at the time carriages gave way to automobiles.

Each set of parents seemed rigid in its own way and so, little wonder that the young couple (Gerald was a few years younger than Sara) decamped to Europe, where they lived a magical life for a while, captivating other members of the Jazz Age and cultivating quite the circle of friends who were aready or who became well known writers, artists, and bons vivants.

In part because of a donation from Laura Donnelly, Sara and Gerald's granddaughter, of antique file boxes of family papers dealing with the running of the family homestead, The Dunes, we have been able to bring home the extraordinary story and style of Sara and Gerald Murphy.

Galapagos
Mulford Farm, ca. 1680

Galapagos

"Galapagos" will be on view from Sunday, 21 August, through Sunday, 9 October, on weekends. Saturday, 10 a.m. - 5 p.m., Sunday, noon - 5. Opening reception, Sunday, August 21, 2 - 5 p.m.


Galapagos is an exhibition of photographs and sculptures by Billy Strong and a film, "Isabela," by Dell Cullum.

The show was inspired by a trip that Strong and Cullum made to the Galapagos Islands.